Our simple How To Guide for registering a converted van as a ‘motor caravan’
After converting your van to a camper, it is preferable to register it with the DVLA as a Motor Caravan. Technically now being a legality, you will also benefit from the following:
Cheaper, more appropriate insurance
Speed limit increases if the unladen weight remains under 3.05 tonnes; Single Carriageway: 50mph to 60mph. Dual carriageway: 60mph to 70mph.
Cheaper ferry prices
Complete the conversion and check that it meets the rules for re-registering
Take photographs of your conversion (see guidance notes below)
Write a letter summarising the request
Complete section 7 of the vehicle’s registration document (V5C)
Send 2, 3 and 4 from above to DVLA , Swansea, SA99 1BA
Using this guidance, this is how we did it:
We converted our van professionally and the following must be completed:
1. Door that provides access to the living accommodation;
2. Bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet. This can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle;
3. Water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle;
4. Seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle. The table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table;
5. Permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe;
6. Permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity (two fixed burners)
7. At least one window on the side of the accommodation.
We printed off 6 photographs with the letter showing the following and wrote a description on the rear of each photograph:
a. Front of Motor Caravan showing registration plate.
b. Rear of Motor Caravan again showing registration plate.
c. Interior detail showing seats and table in upright position.
d. Bed in sleeping position.
e. Cooking facilities.
f. Several storage cupboards.
Using this letter as a template, complete the relevant information alongside your v5c and return to DVLA
Write Motor Caravan in section 7 “Changes to Current Vehicle” and changed the number of seats to 4 or 5 for bench seats
Post the letter, the photographs, registration document by Special Delivery to DVLA , Swansea, SA99 1BA